Are you looking for the best music platform to reach a large number of people? Do you want to make your career in the music industry? If yes, then we … Read More
Ransomware is the software that is responsible for cyber extortion and internet crime where data or device of an individual is held for ransom. Ransomware has affected thousands of people and their businesses around the world. It has stirred up some really tense situations at many places where millions of dollars have been ransomed illegally. The most vulnerable of all are the small businesses. Yes! These businesses don’t have a robust security system or framework that would be able to stop such high intensity cyber attacks. So, here are a few things you should check out to know more about Ransomware and how to keep it away.
What is Ransomware Attack?
Ransomware typically gets activated when a person clicks on a link in a phishing email or downloads a corrupted email attachment. If it is activated, then the entire device or the whole network is ransomed by the virus. It can also be delivered via security loopholes and totally infect a system without any significant action carried out by the users. You’ll see in most cases that older versions of operating systems are more vulnerable to ransomware attacks.
Even the newer systems can be under the threat if their security framework is not updated from time to time. A single ransomware attack can directly affect hundreds of users who are at that time present on a particular server or network. Small businesses can be seriously affected by it as the attack can steal their user database or hack their bank accounts from the information. It can also lead to several hours of downtime that directly affects the company’s revenue.
How To Remain Safe From Ransomware?
Remaining safe from ransomware is of optimal importance for small businesses. One single ransomware attack can significantly affect the business framework like never before. So, here are the steps that you should follow in order to keep your small business safe from the attacks.
- You should regularly keep scanning the computers with antivirus software before you settle down to work.
- Constantly configure your firewall to prevent ransomware attacks.
- Proper training must be delivered to the employees on how to prevent a ransomware attack and how to remain safe when surfing the internet.
- Each and every business data must have a backup and this backup should be updated on a regular basis. There should be a facility to store it offline.
- Keep your operating system’s security patches upgraded and dated to the latest updates at all times.
- Make sure to use a software that will help to filter the received emails to prevent any kind of spam from reaching the employees.
- You should always limit the number of administrative privileges or access that is being given to the employees.
- It is a good idea to switch to two-factor authentication for better security. Or use a reputed VPN website like pinpointvpn for better server security.
So, here are some of the easy yet efficient ways in which you can keep your small business secured from any kind of ransomware attacks.